This afternoon I participated in a webinar talking about using specialized lotteries to create diversity in schools. It was very interesting to hear the different types of choice schools that are around the country. Being able to identify a few here in Boise, Idaho made it easier for me to understand. I thought the discussion was very thorough and I enjoyed listening to the keynote speaker describe Brooklyn Prospect. When describing Brooklyn Prospect, it sounds as though they are still in a development phase and working toward a more solidified environment. The statistics for free and reduced lunches were very volatile for a school in their developing years. One statistic that stood out to me at the very beginning was the racial isolation (pictured below). When I was considering the school I teach at, these statistics are pretty close to what we see as well. The one piece that concerned me during this webinar are the ELL students. Choice schools want a more diverse population, however are they prepared to provide services to the ELL students and their families? In the school I teach at, we have an abundance of services that ELL students and their families receive on a daily basis. If a choice school is attempting to service all students (low SES, high SES, ELL etc) they will need specialists and people who are able to provide what these kids need.





No comments:
Post a Comment