I decided to create a Google Slide presentation to showcase my understanding of CoP, Connectivism and PLN. When I was reading through the resources provided, along with the resources shared on Diigo I began to think of these three relating to each other within a school. The Communities of Practice is like a school faculty working toward the same goals, but being able to support each other and lend ideas. The faculty is working towards the goal of overall student achievement. I then related connectivism to students working together during a science experiment. They are communicating, they are testing different theories, they are connecting their knowledge with each others to conduct an experiment. The last piece is the Personal Learning Networks, and I saw this as students working together in a small group throughout the day. Some students lurk and listen, others are active participants and leaders within the group. They all have something to bring to the group, but they also have the freedom of listening and learning.
Resources
Meador, D. (2015, October 21). Building a Personal Learning Network Will Make You a Better Teacher. Retrieved June 10, 2016, from http://teaching.about.com/od/L-O/g/Personal-Learning-Network.htm.
Moss, P. (2013, November 26). Why Learning Through Social Networks Is the Future. Retrieved June 10, 2016, from http://www.teachthought.com/the-future-of-learning/learning-through-networks-is-the-future/
Siemens, G. (2005, January). Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning Go Top. Retrieved June 10, 2016, from http://itdl.org/journal/jan_05/article01.html
Smith, M.K. (2013). Jean Lave, Etienne Wenger and communities of practice. Retrieved June 10, 2016, from http://www.infed.org/biblio/communities_of_practice.htm
Courtney,
ReplyDeleteI like how you discussed CoPs, PLNs, and Connectivism in a school. When you discussed the students being in PLNs in the classroom, it made me think about how important students collaboration is. It seems like we spend so much time and energy trying to get students to be quiet and work independently, but really they need to be talking and collaborating. The most learning is going to occur when they are able to share what they know, lurk and listen, be active participants, and leaders, like you said.
Hi Courtney,
ReplyDeleteI like how you included the word "goal" in your description of CoP. In a CoP the group may have similar experiences and interests, but they are all working towards the same goals. In your example, it is student achievement. For a sports team, that goal might be state championships. For connectivism, it also sounds similar to collaboration. Is there a difference between the two or are they also linked?
Hey Courtney,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you used the image of the school faculty as the CoP, I would have never thought that a faculty could be considered that. I was so focused on the tech part, I didn't even consider that people could be a CoP, even though I spent all morning in a PD. Tomorrow I'm going to be sitting there thinking about your slides while I'm in my PD and making those connections.